Pages

Friday, July 15, 2011

Spokane, Washington

We also visited the International Rose Test Garden in Portland, Oregon. I don't think I've ever seen anyone so excited about flowers as Gabrielle was.

My favorites because they're yellow. They're appropriately called "Welcome Home."


The Space Needle in Seattle


Along the water behind Pike Street Market
 Hello All!
We are currently in Spokane, Washington, visiting Gabrielle's cousins. We sadly didn't spend too much time in Eugene although we did get to visit Voodoo Doughnuts (delicious!) and the Saturday market. I love outdoor markets. There is such a tight-knit sense of community at outdoor markets and such a wide variety of people to watch, food to taste, and aromas to smell. When we got up on Saturday morning, we didn't have anywhere to stay in Portland that night. All the hostels were booked. The only hostel/hotel we could find was going to cost us nearly $200 for two nights. Perplexed, I just left it alone Friday night and just prayed that God would take care of it. I'm not opposed to sleeping in Walmart parking lots, but it's so nice to truly be able to enjoy and explore a place and then have a safe haven for sleeping. The next morning, I randomly googled bed and breakfasts and found a cool website: airbnb.com. It's a place that allows people to post rooms that they are renting out, rates, etc. We found a room in the Hawthorne district of Portland that was reasonable and sent the owner a message trying to reserve it. It was such a toss-up because it was such late notice, but it was only a couple of hours before the owner sent us a message back letting us know we could stay there. I was so grateful that God provided that place.

The first night in Portland, we just hung around the Hawthorne district which is a really cool place. The owner of the Casa Laurita where we stayed told us that the Hawthorne district is kind of the last of the districts to still preserve its independently owned shops, restaurants, etc. and not have many chains. We ate dinner at a Thai place and walked around. Nearly everyone in Portland dresses oddly. It was cool to be around so many hippies. I texted my dad at one point and said, "The hippies in Portland have stolen my heart," and his reply, in typical Joe fashion, was "Well, you should get it back before they smoke it." I love my dad. We went to Powell's books which I've been told is the largest independently owned bookstore in the country (something like that). It was like heaven. I have a major problem with book buying. I dislike spending money in general and hate spending money on myself, but there is a soft spot in my heart for books. As I waited for Gabrielle, I had a random kid approach me and ask for a buck. His ride had left without him, and he was pretty distraught. When I gladly gave him what he had asked for, he asked me if he could give me a hug, and he did (and not a creepy one either). It blessed my heart more than I can express.

On Sunday, we went to Imago Dei Community--a church that I first read about in Donald Miller's Blue Like Jazz. I have to be honest and say that when I first read that book, I was in the initial stages of struggling with church, and when Donald Miller described Imago Dei, I wanted so badly to go there. It helped me maintain a hope in church even if only for a little while. So, when I realized that we'd be in Portland for a Sunday, I was excited to attend. Remembering the wonder of Celebration of Life Church in Port Arthur, Texas, and how much of a blessing it was to stay with someone from that church, I wondered if we might find someone from Imago Dei (which is supposed to be very community-centered) to stay with. The other churches we've been to--especially mega churches--leave us feeling like invisible islands. We come in, we have our own private moments with God, but it isn't often that anyone says two words to us. There are no relationships formed. It's like trying to pry your way into social circles in middle school--not worth it when you're just a fly on the wall passing through. But, in a leap of faith, despite the fact that I hate asking anyone for anything, I emailed the pastor, gave him a rundown of our story and how I'm moving to Honduras, and humbly asked if he knew anyone in the congregation who might be willing to let us stay for two nights. I received an email shortly thereafter from his personal assistant telling me that my best bet was to place an ad on the Imago Dei Google group page. I thought, "Absolutely not," but out of curiosity, I visited the page and was interested by just how many postings by people in need were left without replies. I won't lie--simply because of how truly difficult it is for me to ask people for help and because this was supposed to be my brothers and sisters in Christ I was asking--I was quite bothered by that response. I struggle with big institutions, when people become numbers and sharing becomes a job. I know that a lot of times God does allow ministries, etc. to grow, but I am so scared of ever reaching a place where I am not willing to stop for the one person in front of me requiring my help. I would rather be quiet, in the shadows, in obscurity, and attentive to the one person in front of me than famous, powerful, on a pedestal, and untouchable by the masses. At any rate, we still went to Imago. Initially, I was not at all feeling the service. Worship is always an indicator to me of the heart of a church and where the community, the work, and the fruit originates, and it was so short. Not to be gross, but to me, worship like that seems like what it must be like when a wife gets her husband all worked up with a few kisses and anticipation only to leave the bedroom to do the dishes. It's such a tease.

The message, however, was good. A church planter from Los Angeles spoke on Galatians 4:12. He talked about how true Christians really should understand that Christianity has no culture. Christians should be the most unswerving, steadfast people when it comes to the Gospel and the truth of the Bible and the most flexible, chill, and understanding persons when it comes to loving and being with other people. Too often, Christians are either too chill and compromise the truth of the Gospel and don't impact anyone around them (because they are no different), or they are too rigid and try to force others to become just like them. This man gave me Biblical basis for something I've found to be true time and time again--we, as Christians, must be willing to become like the ones we wish to reach while still personally refusing to compromise the Bible.

Anyway, we spent the rest of the afternoon having a picnic and quiet day in Laurelhurst Park. It was very nice. On Monday, we drove up to Seattle. Gabrielle has a few cousins who live in Seattle. They were all so very kind and showed us around and gave us a place to stay. We like Seattle a lot. At one point, we were in Pike Street Market and came across a street-performing a capella group called A Moment in Time. Their song was exactly what I needed. Sometimes, my mind gets so jumbled with thoughts and decisions and scenarios especially in relation to moving that I forget the simplicity of God's leading. The song they sang was one I'd never heard before, "I Made a Step." I can't seem to find the lyrics in totality, but here are some excerpts:
If you make one step, He'll make two
There ain't no limit to what God can do
If you go, don't worry about yourself
All you have to do is make a step
While the message is simple, I felt it in the middle of Pike Street Market. It was a special moment. It was as if God was reminding me that no, I don't have any control over various situations or other people and don't even have a concept of what to expect, but all He is asking me to do is make a step. I have to be willing to blindly put one foot in front of the other. I don't have to have it all figured out.

We left Seattle on Wednesday and came to Spokane where the rest of Gabrielle's cousins live. They have also been so kind to us. (It was so bizarre to begin driving east for the first time in this trip.) Gabrielle and I are pretty sure that the road has finally caught up with us as we were absolutely exhausted today. We crashed for most of the day. It's been quite a while since we've been in a place where we had the comforts of a home and didn't have to be on the go. This evening was so wonderful. The Bartlett family had a barbecue, and everyone was over. I can't express how it blessed my heart to be around such a loving family who was so accepting of me even though we aren't really related. Being around the Bartletts, laughing and joking with them and watching the entertainment of their wonderful grandchildren, was such a blessing and also made me so homesick for Honduras and just for family in general. I miss my immediate family greatly, and I also miss my adopted family in Honduras.

Gabrielle and I both agreed that the places that have brought the most rest to our souls were those homes where people were so secure in themselves that they were willing to love and accept us effortlessly. In those families, we don't feel as if we owe anything or as if there are expectations lingering over our heads. In those families, we don't feel obligated or like we're inconveniencing anyone. We just enjoy the presence of others and act as one of the family. It's unconscious and overwhelming and beautiful. As previously mentioned, I think that the interaction of people on this trip has taught me the greatest lessons. I have learned in greater depth not just what hospitality and generosity look like but what it means to treat everyone like family--how healing that can be to a soul. It's something I want to be a part of in increasing measures for the rest of my life. I want every single person who comes in contact with me to feel at home--comfortable in his or her own skin, warmed by unconditional love, and secure. To be that kind of person, I have to allow myself to be all of those things in God' presence. Easier said than done, but so worth it.

Tomorrow, we head to Missoula, Montana to stay with another cousin we haven't seen in forever. It's unbelievable to realize that we have been on the road for a month and half, and we only have less than two weeks to go. It's bittersweet--we're tired, but we've had a wonderful time and have grown a lot. I feel like a much stronger person, much more prepared to move, and much more dependent on God.

Anyway, niƱos, it is late here, and we hit the road again tomorrow, so that's all for now.
Much love,
Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment