Pages

Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Catracha!

Hello All,

Well, tomorrow marks two months that I have lived here, and it's been a while since I've updated. First of all, I will happily say that less than two months after starting the process, I received my Honduran residency yesterday! I am so thankful and so blessed by how much quicker I received it than I expected--although realistically I've waited four and half years in all for this privilege. So, all I have left to do is get my carnet/ID card at Immigration although the Hondurans here all say that to really be a catracha, I need to let myself burn a whole lot more and eat a lot more baleadas. Ha ha.


It is unbelievable to me that I have only been here two months mainly because I still haven't surpassed the maximum time I lived here before, yet so much has happened and changed in such a short span of time. The Eagle's Nest will close by the end of this month (perhaps sooner depending on how impending decisions evolve). I have been hesitant to update because with the way that things change so quickly, anything that I say could very easily change. So, all decisions are more or less tentative right now. When the house closes, Quendy and I will move to the apartment adjacent to Alvin's house that is below the team bunkhouse. I am grateful that I'll have her, and I pray that it will work out to be beneficial for both of us. I am thankful that I won't have to live completely alone, and the hope for Quendy is that I can provide enough of a sense of family and stability as a big sister while still giving her increased responsibility and independence since she already is approaching 18-years-old. The tentative plan is that Blanca will return home with her family for the holidays and perhaps will return to live with Chad and Trina. Kimberly is set to live with Chad and Trina, which will be very good for her as Trina hopes to homeschool her. Trina is a teacher herself, and Kimberly could so use the one-on-one attention as she is 11-years-old and does not know how to read or write. Meanwhile, Tía and Mamí are ready to go and excitedly await their new adventure. I will miss them more than I can express. We have such a wonderful time together, and I have learned so much from these two very strong women. I have been so blessed by the time we've had together, and I will definitely be keeping up with them while they're in Nicaragua. Of course, I'll have to visit at some point too.

It's been a busy couple of weeks. We had two doctors here for a few days, so we had three straight days of clinics at the church, at Feeding Center #2, and in a small village called El Vino south of Tegus. The brothers, Dr. Craig and Dr. Jerry, were such wonderful blessings. I loved their low maintenance and adventurous attitudes and senses of humor as they served. Even though it was a lot of work with little rest for three days, working with them was so much fun. We happily anticipate when they will be returning. One thing I've learned during my many durations of time in Honduras is that it is absolutely amazing how quickly one can get attached to someone else. That's the way it tends to be in serving together--sometimes, God brings people into your life who just automatically share the same heart. Some of my dearest friends--both North Americans and Hondurans--have resulted from very quick encounters and God moments. I was re-reading some journal entries not too long ago and was reminded of a concept found in Dietrich Bonhoeffer's book, The Cost of Discipleship--the idea that Jesus is the Mediator of all of our relationships. And, really, this is a true and very refreshing thought. I am so grateful for who He has brought and continues to bring into my life and how He mediates all of my relationships with other humans.

This past week, we also had a team of seven guys here from Missouri. They did some construction work on the feeding centers and also helped Roy prepare some beams for the house he has been building. They were a very hard-working group and easy to get along with; I'm always grateful for people with whom you can joke, regardless of any language barrier. Even though we are always grateful for the work that teams do, what never ceases to strike me is that more than the walls built or murals painted, what endures are the relationships made between people in our ministry here, Hondurans, and volunteers from the US and other parts of the world. The teams who tend to return and who really allow Honduras to become a part of who they are generally are the ones who actively seek to build relationships during their stay.

During the time that the team was here, we went to the juvenile delinquent centers. The boys were on lockdown due to a riot that had happened a few days earlier. Marvin, one of the workers from our church, actually saved a couple of boys from being killed. The girls were free to visit, however, and I was happy to see them again. One girl, Pamela, who had been there when I came in January, had returned yet again for her second time there. She is only 12-years-old. She was placed back at Sagrado Corazón because she set something on fire at Casitas Kennedy (the orphanage). Girls there often do that to escape the orphanage and to go to the juvenile delinquent center. While I won't go into detail about Pamela's struggles, I will ask you to pray for her. I am always so blessed when someone here trusts me enough to share their burdens, and Pamela's pain broke my heart. Please keep her and the rest of the girls in your prayers.

Meanwhile, my own little life here continues. Sometimes, especially when teams are here, I'm very busy. Other times, it feels like I have nothing to do or that I'm just waiting on someone to give me a new job or task. I am once again learning to recognize that God often works in those times when I personally feel the least productive. He reminds me of how important relationships are and how He works through the smallest smiles and quickest prayers. So, when I have free time, I often visit with my boys at Raúl's business, and I have gotten in the habit of going with the boys (Raúl and Roy) whenever they play soccer in the neighborhood. Once again, I'm the only girl there (and a blond-haired gringa at that), but I love that Raúl invites me to go and that I can share in their favorite pasttime. They often come to the house after the game, and I enjoy feeding them, bringing them water, etc. as they compare notes and share laughter over the game. I love my boys very much and am so grateful for the sense of family they have provided me. With Sara and Sally leaving soon, having the boys is increasingly a comfort.

Many changes are in process, and in the midst of the shifting, I have once again found comfort in the book of Isaiah. Isaiah is one of my favorite books of the Bible, so it's hard to say any particular chapter or verse that strikes me most, but this one is pretty relevant for the time being:

Isaiah 43:19
Behold, I am doing a new thing! Now it springs forth; do you not perceive and know it and will you not give heed to it? I will even make a way in the wilderness and rivers in the desert.
Thank you so much for reading, for your prayers, and for your support!

Love,
Sarah

Pamela in January at the juvenile delinquent center


2 comments:

  1. Sarah, I am so amazed at the work you are doing in Honduras! I have taken several short missions but I can't imagine what it must be like to live somewhere far away permanently! I plan to read all of your blog as soon as I can. Thanks soooo much for talking to my kids! If there is something that you need us to collect or do in the states, I am sure my kids would be willing to do some sort of drive(especially after meeting you!) talk to you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. New things are always exciting! Prayers for God's best in it all and a deeper love of His mindset. Love you!

    ReplyDelete