Pages

Thursday, August 11, 2011

New York, New York


A rainbow hovering over Narragansett Beach, Rhode Island

Downtown Providence, Rhode Island

A sign in the Upper West Side of New York City...I doubt my Honduran friends could drive here without getting a penalty! Anyone who has driven in Honduras should know what I'm talking about...

Sunset in Riverside Park

Times Square

Rockefeller Plaza
Hello from the Big Apple!


We enjoyed Boston—actually, Samuel is convinced that Boston is one of his new favorite places. It poured the rain the only full day that we were there, but we ventured to the North End anyway. We stumbled upon an Italian festival for a Catholic saint, and we saw the North Church, the Paul Revere statue, and a few other attractions of the area. By the end of our exploring, we were absolutely soaked. Hilariously enough, as soon as we emerged from the parking garage, the rain went away, the sky cleared, and the sun came out. We drove by Fenway Park just so Samuel could see it and then headed back to Cambridge where we were staying. Samuel played basketball with some neighborhood guys (which I’m pretty sure is the biggest reason he thinks Boston is one of his new favorite places). The next morning, we got up and headed to Rhode Island. For whatever reason, Rhode Island is a state I’ve wanted to go to for a long time, and I will gladly say that I really liked it. We stayed at Fisherman’s Memorial State Park which is not far from Narragansett Beach. We set up camp and then headed to Narragansett Beach which was very beautiful with some pretty large waves. It was raining some of the time we were there, but after a while, the rain stopped and left a beautiful rainbow just hovering over the water. I’d never seen anything like that before. It started to lightning eventually, so we headed back to camp where we ate refried beans from a can and tortillas. I still stand by the fact that this is one of my favorite meals. I am just as happy eating it as I am eating in some fancy restaurant.
The following day we got up and went to Scarborough State Beach. It was very busy, but the skies were pretty clear. We played in the ocean, and Samuel, stubborn child that he is, refused to put any sunscreen on, which resulted in a terrible burn all over his body. I can’t say that I don’t understand—it used to be that just about every summer, I’d convince myself that if I just let myself get a little sun, it’d turn to a tan. This simply is not the case for me, but it took many burns for me to finally accept myself as the pasty, white kid who needs to bathe in sunscreen. I will, however, say that his learning of this lesson was not the greatest of timing. After Scarborough, we headed to Providence. I really like Providence. We walked around a lot around the downtown area. It was very quiet but also pretty despite the overcast clouds and occasional rain. Samuel and I caught a movie and had some dinner at Providence Place mall—probably the largest mall Samuel’s ever been to except maybe Multiplaza in Tegus. After the movie, we headed back to camp. It poured the rain the whole way there which did not bode well for sleeping in the tent. Samuel, with his burn, could only sleep sitting up anyway, so he was already planning on sleeping in the car. Thus, it was just me in the tent with the pouring rain. Our campsite was all pretty much downhill, so water was seeping in the front door of the tent. After fitfully trying to sleep, all I could think about were the people who live in the dump in Tegucigalpa. There’s an entire rainy season in Honduras, and they have no where else to go except their little shacks made out of cardboard, plastic scraps, and the like. There is no shade from the sun and no reliable shelter from the rain. I can’t imagine what that feels like. I know that humans are able to adapt to many things, but I had the comfort that I could go into the car if need be, and eventually, I wouldn’t have to be camping anyway. It put the stupidity of self-pity into perspective for me.

The next morning, after everything dried out, we headed to New York, where we are now. We’re staying in Queens, but we went to Manhattan last night and will likely venture there again today. Sammy was so convinced months ago that we was going to love New York even though I cautioned him that it’s not everything it’s cracked up to be. It’s a cool place to experience (Spanish Harlem is my favorite), but it’s also tiring and overwhelming. After five hours of walking and exploring and subway riding with his all-over sunburn, Samuel was dead tired. Ironically enough, after navigating us to Queens, driving in New York City traffic, navigating the subway and the Upper West Side, finding my way in Times Square and Rockefeller Center, we got lost walking from the subway station in Jamaica to the house where we’re staying. For the most part, though, all of this traveling has sharpened my sense of direction and made me a better driver. It has also made me braver. If I can pick up and go to New York City, what’s to stop me from picking up and going to another city in another country? One of the lessons of this trip has been that if God says to go somewhere or do something, you just have to do it because you can.

Heidi Baker often says there is no “no” left in her for Jesus. I learned a while back that that doesn’t just mean that she can’t disobey God when He tells her to do something. It’s not just a matter of will; it’s also a matter of ability. She can’t tell Him, “no, I can’t do that,” if He tells her to do something even if it seems absolutely impossible. It’s true for all of us because the point is dependency on God. This is a lesson that has me in its grips at the moment although it’s a lifelong, ever-renewing lesson, I know. The closer I get to moving, the more loss I experience, and the more of myself has to die. I only want to be obedient. Being obedient means being out of control, though, and often, I find myself asking God for the bravery to trust Him with all things rather than relying on any illusions of my own control—I don’t have any. A song that speaks to where I am right now is “Empty Me Out” by Telecast:
Empty me out, fill me with You
Lord, there is nothing I can give to You

I lay down my life
Here at Your feet
You give me life so completely
So completely


I died with You, was buried with You
The moment I believed
I rose with You, ascended with You
Into the heavenlies

Lord, it’s not me
It’s You inside of me
Jesus, You are all these eyes can see

Lord, it’s not me
It’s You inside of me
Jesus, You are all that these eyes can see

In the midst of the stretching, I have received so much comfort from testimonies and stories from other faith-filled missionaries who live dependently on God. In addition to Heidi and Rolland Baker, Corrie ten Boom and her book Tramp for the Lord have been major encouragements. Her stories are convicting and thought-provoking. For example, after she was permitted to leave Ravensbruck, a concentration camp during the Holocaust, God directed her to travel the world telling others of Jesus. Eventually, God told Corrie that was not to ask anyone for money or support but that she should depend on Him to supply her needs. Here is an excerpt from Tramp for the Lord:

God takes His prohibition of asking for money very seriously just as He means it seriously when he says He will care for and protect us. However, if we seek to raise our own money then God will let us do it—by ourselves. Many times we will be able to raise great amounts of money by human persuasion or downright perseverance in asking. But we will miss the far greater blessing of letting Him supply all our needs according to His own riches. (85-86).

I know that many missionaries would argue her point, but I think she is absolutely right. Furthermore, I believe what she’s saying is biblical. One of the scriptures that stuck out to me during my first summer in Honduras was in Matthew 10:9-10. I think The Message puts it best:

Don't think you have to put on a fund-raising campaign before you start. You don't need a lot of equipment. You are the equipment, and all you need to keep that going is three meals a day. Travel light.

From here on out, I believe my position on fundraising is simple—God will supply all my needs. I am not at the mercy of the purse strings of other human beings. If I have a need, I will make it known to my Father and throw myself on His mercy. He will always show me what to do, and He will provide according to His will (not mine) because either the Bible is true and Jesus is right, or the Bible is a lie, and Jesus is a liar. I choose to trust and depend on my loving Heavenly Father.

Meanwhile, tomorrow will make only 3 weeks until I move to Honduras which is astounding. This summer went by so fast, as I knew it would! Samuel and I have only 2-3 days on the road after this one, which is good because he is ready to be home already. Once home, I begin the frenzy of seeing people, going through the remainder of stuff, and packing, packing, packing! I’m excited—I want the adventure to begin!
I’m waiting for my real life to begin…

With love,

Sarah

1 comment:

  1. Love that song, Sarah! Glad you are continuing in the wisdom of the Lord by seeking Him only. he is indeed enough and will provide far more than we could ever expect. It's never a quantity thing with Him, quality though...His love abounds and He will provide.

    Can't wait to see you! Love....

    ReplyDelete