Pages

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Brisas and Birthday Songs

Just a quick update:
Today was my birthday, and while the overall events of the day were rather normal, I couldn't have felt more blessed. I went to class as usual, and a few funny/mildly amusing things happened:
1) I told one of my professors that I want to live in Honduras, and he lectured me about how dangerous it would be. Everywhere I go, everyone tells me that the next place I'm going will be dangerous. When I was in Honduras, someone told me that he wouldn't go to Mexico because it's so dangerous. When I left the States, everyone told me not to go to Mexico because it's so dangerous, and now that I'm in Mexico, someone is telling me it's too dangerous to live in Honduras. Hilarious. Good thing I rarely ever worry about my physical protection. I'm contently blind in security.
2) We worked on tongue twisters in conversation class. We did tongue exercises--all those things you do as a kid have a purpose! If you don't have a strong and muscular tongue, you can't roll your double r's adequately. Tomorrow I have to say:
Erre con erre cigarro, erre con erre barril, rápido corren los carros, por el ferrocarril. Say that ten times fast, rolling your double r's. Not easy.

After class, we came home and had lunch. Because it was my birthday, Coco made tortilla soup and chicken with mole. It's a celebratory food, traditionally fixed for birthdays and weddings. Absolutely delicious.

Then, before we left for the movies, I had a delightful conversation with Roy via Skype phone. He surprised me by singing "Happy Birthday" in English, and I now have a secure ride from the airport when I get to Honduras because as he said, it's un placer. Seventeen days until home, and I couldn't be more excited.

Finally, we--Leigh Ann, Lisa, and our host mother--went to the movies and saw Robin Hood, mainly because Coco likes to think of Russell Crowe as her boyfriend. She is so adorable. The movie, although not one that I was initially super excited about, was really good.

All in all, a good day. I need to finish up my neglected homework. But. . .tomorrow the orphanage!

Love love love love love love,
Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment