Pages

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

The culture here and, in many cases, in Latin America in general seems so conducive to who I am in some ways. For example, during my one-on-one conversation with Mariel yesterday, we talked about how important it is that women especially make their intentions and expectations known. Although as with all human beings there are cases of shyness and the like, overall, there is a general acceptance for concretely bringing social situations into the open. I was sharing with Mariel my tendency to want concrete and open interactions and to steer clear of situations that carry vague or veiled intentions. I like that here it is expected that you be open with other people as that certainly is not the case in the States.

In the same way, I was talking with our host mother, Coco, yesterday, and we were discussing the use of the tú form versus the usted form in addressing people. For anyone not familiar with Spanish, let me explain: When addressing another person in conversation, there are two pronoun/verb forms that can be used--the tú (informal) and the usted (formal). The usted form is usually the safe way to go because it indicates respect and is a way of placing that person apart from yourself. In other words, the usted is a way to communicate with the person without intruding on them personally or becoming prematurely intimate in conversational relations. The tú form indicates a freedom to be quite personal and intimate with someone else. Initiating the use of the tú indicates not only a readiness to be more open and close to the other person but also the confidence that that person feels the same way about you. However, although it seems rather complex, I don't get the sense that it is something Spanish speakers really worry about too much, and the use of the tú form varies from country to country. In Honduras, I didn't hear the tú form used often. The usted simply seemed more convenient although I did note that the tú form was always used during prayers and when talking to God. This blessed my heart greatly as it automatically indicates an openness with God and an invitation of intimacy given to Him. Because it isn't used often in Honduras, the use of the tú form with God almost carried a greater sacredness. In Mexico, however, the tú form is used often. I was quite surprised that my host mother and my professors all used the tú form with me. It's just more widely accepted here. However, Coco told us that if someone uses the tú form with you, and you are not comfortable with that person, it's necessary to tell the person that he or she cannot use that form with you. It is expected that you indicate that the person is not close enough to you, doesn't know you well enough, or isn't someone with whom you are ready to be open. This immediate revelation is not meant to be an insult; it is only to let the person know where he or she stands. This fearlessness in social interaction amazes me because I am accustomed to a culture of vague intentions, of social games, and of fear to just be real. Thus, this culture warms my heart and expands my world. It's refreshing to say the least.

Besos y abrazos para ti,
Sarah

1 comment:

  1. Sarah - I so enjoy reading your blog. Thank you posting as time allows, sharing the things God has immersed you in for such a time is this. Thank you for being obedient to His calling and plan for your life. Prayers for you, always...Love you! Cheryl

    ReplyDelete