Pages

Friday, June 11, 2010

Fútbol!

Today was the opening game of the 2010 World Cup--between Mexico and South Africa. Naturally, being in Mexico, it was a game to watch. I came to school, took my test (that our professor rushed us through), and went to watch the game that they were showing on campus. There is nothing like taking in a soccer game in another country while that country´s team is playing. While it is not so much the case in the US, soccer is massively important to the majority of the world. It always excites me to see how people come together to watch the game, donning their country´s colors and cheering extravagantly. Today was no exception, and although the game resulted in a tie, I did have the joy of watching Mexicans celebrate whenever their team scored. Watching the game really made me miss playing. There is nothing like the adrenaline rush that comes when the ball is barrelling down the field in your direction.

It is amazing how soccer unites the world. Although it´s only a game, it stands for so much more to people in other countries. It´s a matter of national pride and solidarity. While I did enjoy the game today, I can´t help but cheer for my own home--Honduras. They play on June 16, and I am utterly thrilled that I will be there, wearing my jersey, to watch the game with all my catrachos.

Meanwhile, today has been a very good last day. I got hugs from both of my Maggies and yet another lecture from Daniel about how Leigh Ann and I are boring because we never go out. I hope to stay in touch with people that I´ve met during this experience. And, as is the case with Jamaica, I carry a piece of Mexico with me and hope to return some day. It truly is a beautiful country with lovely people.

And tomorrow, it is off to Honduras! I can´t even contain myself. I don´t think it has truly hit me yet that I am returning to my home after nearly a year of absence. Everything in terms of what will transpire when I get there, what God wants to teach me, etc. is a veiled mystery, but one that I welcome with open arms. I will leave Coco´s house tomorrow at 5 AM by taxi, and I will arrive at the Mexico City airport aound 7. My flight leaves at 9. I have a 48 minute (yikes!) layover in Guatemala where I will change carriers. Finally, I am supposed to arrive in Honduras by noon where Roy will pick me up from the airport. Who knows if all of this will actually go as planned? Yet, I know that God is in control of it all, so I will get there when I get there. Prayers for safe travels for me and Leigh Ann both are greatly appreciated.

Thanks for reading of my adventures and lessons thus far in the journey. Once I get to Honduras, it is likely that internet access will be much more limited, so I have no real concept of how often I´ll be able to update. But, I will do my best!

Viva México (but home to Honduras),
Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment