Pages

Saturday, June 26, 2010

Back Home

Hello All,
Well, this new post finds me back in Tegucigalpa and so very happy to be back home. Teaching went very well this week. I enjoy the ability to collaborate with the other girls, but I also love the time that I have within my own group because I'm free to teach according to my own style. The kids here are wonderful. I, personally, have had no discipline problems, and I find that as long as I am engaging, they make progress. So, as soon as I can see that I am boring them, I stop what I'm doing and change it up. Most of my personal focus has been on providing a phonics basis. I learned to read English through phonics, and I find that it allows students to read even when they don't know what the word means. Thus, I'm not a huge fan of rote memorization or even an excess of vocabulary that is difficult to retain. I want the students to have a basis for learning more later if they so desire.

On Thursday, I found myself getting rather sick. My roommate had a bit of a cold earlier, but she was starting to get better. At that point, my throat started draining, etc. I thought perhaps it was allergies because La Esperanza is very dusty. But, I don't really know now as it has steadily gotten worse. On Thursday, our ride in the back of the truck was accompanied by Honduras' typical mist of rain. It's like fog, but there is actual precipitation. By the time I reached the school, I was wet and cold and sick and ready to crawl back into bed. But, I had three classes to teach, so I just prayed that God would give me the strength to teach. And I will gladly say that they were some of the best classes I've ever had.

On Friday, we were only supposed to have one class--the sixth grade. However, it was also game day (Honduras versus Switzerland in the World Cup). On game days, the whole country basically shuts down--schools close, businesses are at a stand still, government buildings shut down, etc. We waited for a truck for close to half and hour, and there was never one going our direction. Thus, we headed home. On the way home, I stopped to buy minutes for the cheap cell phone that I bought here, and in the process, we stumbled across a cute little coffee shop. Taking advantage of the free time, we had some cake and coffee. It was delicious.

The original plan was for the five of us to go to El Lago de Yojoa after the game--the same lake that I went to last year, and we were going to stay at the D & D Brewery for a night, a hostel and set of cabins run by a gringo bluegrass musician and his Honduran wife. It's the only microbrewery in the nation, and it's a cute, cheap place. However, I woke up on Thursday at 2 in the morning with throbbing ears, a burning throat, and a headache. Thus, I figured that there was no real point for me to go to El Lago de Yojoa if I wasn't going to be able to swim and would just be sitting outside miserable. So, I decided reluctantly (for whatever reason) to take a bus back home to Tegus. I won't lie--I have been terribly homesick for Villa Vieja and my Honduran family here. Originally, I planned on toughing it out and going to the lake I guess simply because I did not want to seem like a big baby (since I've only been in La Esperanza for a week). But, the thought of having my family to baby me when I'm sick and keep me from being lonely was too enticing. And furthermore, as I was struggling with the decision, God just said to me, "Sarah, I don't know why you struggle to be a 'strong,' self-sufficient woman always wanting to tough it out when all I want you to do is receive My love and let yourself be a baby in My arms."

So, after watching the game (Honduras actually held their own although it was a tie at 0-0), I took the last bus from Esperanza to Tegus at 3. It was a direct, four-hour trip, and was the best $5 I've ever spent. I arrived at dark at the bus station that was close to the church. I had called Roy earlier that day to see if he could pick me up, and despite the short notice, he said that if I gave him a time and place, he'd be there. He also asked Sara and Sally if I could return for the weekend, and they said, "Of course!" I love them. I was the last one off the bus, and I stood outside the station waiting. I knew where I was and could have walked to the church from the station, but I wasn't sure if Roy knew where the station was exactly. Finally, everyone else had left, and I was still standing. The men from the bus company made me come inside the station's gates, saying it was too dangerous for a gringa to be standing out there. They're probably right since the station is located in Comayaguela, and being near the church, it's the rough part of town. The men were very nice, and I called Roy, and he told me he was on his way. After waiting for close to half an hour, I finally called him back just to ask if he knew where he was going. I tried to explain with my meager directions, but I ended up handing the phone to one of the men from the bus station. Poor Roy had been driving up and down the same street looking for this tiny bus station. He finally arrived but not before one of the men asked me for my phone number. Ha ha. Luckily for me, I don't know my own number. Overall, it was a funny experience--another one of those times when I realized that I'll never fully be able to be a catracha or live life normally simply because the color of my skin.

Roy took very good care of me. We zipped through the city on the motor bike. Let me say that there is little I love more than a ride on the moto through the city at night. As silly as it may sound, it's peaceful, and I love the city lights. All I could think about was how I felt mountains better simply because I was back home. Roy took me to a pharmacy and insisted that I get medicine, and while I was waiting on the Amoxicillin (since I'm pretty sure I have a sinus infection. . .and no prescriptions are needed for most medicines here), Roy bought the ingredients needed to make me soup. We drove to Alvin's house since Sally and Sara were at church, and Roy welcomed me back by saying in English, "Welcome to your house." I love that house. It feels so much like home and reminds me of last summer.

Roy painstakingly made me chicken noodle soup and gave me lots of clear liquids. He made sure I took my medicine, and in general, just took very good care of me. Although I do usually try to be the tough girl, I was so blessed by his gentle treatment of me that I was in tears. I love the ways and the people that God uses to show me the depths of His love. Meanwhile, Kevin was up, so I got to visit with him some too. I love that little boy so much. He has been my adopted brother for quite some time, and I am glad that we're both at home enough with each other that that is how we mutually treat each other.

After eating, Roy drove me back down to the Eagle's Nest where everyone was asleep by now (except Mami Sara who is always protective of me). I settled back in, and while in the process of putting on my pajamas, I received a text message from Alvin. I had texted him while on the bus just to say hello and ask him if he was going to be back in the country for a bit. Roy had told me that he'd be here for a week two weeks from now to host a Danish team. If that was going to be the case, then I would take a bus from Esperanza to Tegus again to see him. He told me that he would be here, so I think I will get to see him! I am so glad as I have missed Papi Alvin so very much.

All in all, it is so wonderful to be home. I love Esperanza, and I love teaching. But it is not the same as the open love and ample comfort I feel when I am here with my family. Meanwhile, it has been raining steadily all morning, and I am enjoying the tranquility of it all (and the fact that it is so much warmer here. . .or that could be the fever). At any rate, please pray for me. I'd like to get back to top health before I have to teach again.

With love and astounded joy at His grace,
Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment